Sunday, August 27, 2006

Vacation!

Hi gang. I've been on vacation! I've been taking it easy, no blogging and no writing. I've going places, watching DVDs and watching some of my favorite sci-fi programs on TV. Teresa and I have actually gotten out of town! We escaped the bonds of the Bay, traveled to Boise, McCall, back to Boise and then back to Berkeley. It was a long trip. We were gone from August 2nd to the 12th. The worst part was between Berkeley and Sacramento. I hate driving in four to six lanes of freeway traffic. You never know when some knothead is going to cross several lanes of traffic to swoosh right in front of you. Sometimes you end up having to cross several lanes of traffic yourself in order to get to the right exit. I-80 is much nicer though after you get past Sacramento. You climb up through the foothills and then you're in the high Sierra's and are back in the West. We stopped at the rest stop on Donner Pass, and there was a familiar yellow pine, sagebrush and granite country that I love so much. It was great to be at altitude and low humidity again.

We took two days to drive to Boise, stayed overnight in Boise then drove up to Paradise Point camp on Payette Lake. The camp is just beautiful, as you can see from the photos below. Going to Fat Goose Camp (St. Michael’s church camp) has been a tradition for Teresa and I. It’s a very relaxing, fun time with old friends and new friends, with kids of all ages.







We came back to Boise and visited with friends and family. I took care to plan down time. I’m a firm believer in not box-carring things – going from one thing to the next, to the next. We humans need spaces between events to rest, reflect and center. It is another principle in living a humane, contemplative, mindful and heartfelt life.

A dear friend Boise, who lived for a time in Walnut Creek, CA, suggested a way to avoid the Sacramento to Berkeley six lanes of traffic scene. So we took the levee road – highway 160 – to Antioch, then Highway 4 to I-80 and Berkeley. It was a nice sight-seeing trip along the Sacramento River into the delta region.

Overall it was a much need vacation, a time to touch base with home. If I sound a little homesick, not to worry, every time I would talk about GTU or CDSP, I could feel my energy rising and hear the excitement in my voice, which confirmed to me I’m in the right place for this point in my life. There is a lot I value about being here in Berkeley even as I miss Idaho and that is OK

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy, Sis! It's gr-r-r-reat to read the account of your vacation trip to Idaho. Wish I could ahve gone with you!

The camp photos immediately bro't back memories of Scout camp and church camp of my boyhood. A-a-ah. . . to be back in the pine-covered mountains of Idaho! I love San Antonio, and I still ahve a strong sense that the Lord is using me for His good purposes in this city. Nevertheless, it's HOT and humid here! Altho' I must say that the humidity isn't as high as usual. But that's because we've been suffering a drought for several months. (Dad tells me there are several severe forest fires in the Pac NW, which indicates that the "home" area is likewise suffering a drought.)

Tu hermano en un Texas caliente,

Glen Alan

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie...miss you.

When you post you send out an email telling people you have updated...is that something you do manually? How do you do it?

Thanks